Monday, July 26, 2010

Mining for Gold

Friday, June 4, 2010: Day 116

Early evening Paul and I rushed down to the creek in order to do laundry and bathe before it got dark.  We were making good time, and I was scrubbing clothes when I heard, "Uh-oh."  While rinsing clothes in the creek, Paul's ring slipped off his finger and sank to the sandy bottom.  Uh oh is right!  Quickly we recruited the three little girls bathing to come over and help.  They started dunking their heads under water, raking the sandy bottom and looking for anything shiny.  We searched and searched, but the water is tinted brown and was relatively high that day, and the sandy bottom is full of rocks.  They're incredibly tricky and kept feeling like a ring.  Paul had given up and gone back to rinsing clothes when my raking hand grabbed something round that this time wasn't a rock.  I'd found it!

Paul caught this with his camera

Yes, it's just a piece of jewelry, and it is replacable, but its from a very special day with an important memory, and I'm just thankful we found it before it came nothing more than fish food.


a frequent visitor to our house

new baby donkey in the village

1 comment:

Ed/Janet Quinlivan said...

Love to hear about your daily trials.
Love,
Mom and Dad