A long, long time ago my Grandma was married to my father's father. A short time after my father was born Grandma and Grandpa had a falling out of sorts and were divorced. My Grandmother took the ring and had it shaped and contorted into its present condition. She wore this altered piece of gold and stone for many, many years...
Before she passed into the next life she instilled the ownership of the ring upon my Mother and my mother recently instilled it upon me. After many years of use by my Grandmother and the time spent in a safe the ring had become dirty and unclean. About a week ago I took the ring in to get cleaned. I kindly handed the ring to the nice lady behind the counter and she started to look at the diamond through her "diamond looking glass thingy." She then passed the ring to the jeweler who proceeded to clean the ring.
After about five minutes time she handed the freshly polished symbol back to me. I was in awe. Until, that moment the plans of the engagement had been just a dream. At that moment i saw my dreams becoming a reality and the excitment became overwhelming. It was one of those freeze frame moments in my life when all time seemed to stand still. It is a beautiful thing for a beautiful girl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring#History
4 comments:
Congrats Paul and Best wishes Richter. What a neat post and great news! You are both very lucky. We have known Paul's parents for years and it is a wonderful family to be joining.
Ed & Sally Young
Oops! First post on your blog and I messed it up. I meant to say best wishes Alyssa! Sorry about that.
Sally
Dear Paul & Alyssa: What a blessing! And what a beautiful story about the ring. The ring kind of reminds me of our hearts before we give them over to the Lord and let Him clean them up! Congratulations and may God bless you with a beautiful wedding and and long and happy life together.
(I work for Paul's father)
Madeline Iniguez
Aunt Katie...Enjoy each day learning about one another. :) Love you
Aunt Katie
Post a Comment