Saturday, June 28, 2008

Parque National (HIGHLIGHT/'LOWLIGHT OF TRIP)


After yesterday's adventures in which it felt like we saw the entire city of Panama, Alyssa and I decided to head over to Soberania National park about 15 km North west of the city. The park lies about 3 km from the main locks of the canal so during our expensive taxi ride over we were able to see the canal which didn't interest us much but we still felt like it was a must see. So for those of you who told us to check it out, we did.


The national park, which only cost $1.00 per person, was awsome. We went in looking for a nature trail that Alyssa had heard about where we could walk by waterfalls and see animals in their natural habitat. But after spending an hour looking for the begining of the trail we gave up and asked a security guard. He told us that in order to use any of those trails we needed to have pants, boots and a machette. We had none of these things with us (I bought a machette yesterday. Too bad I didn't bring it with me) so the prospect of an adventureous nature walk was off. So we walked around the park. The park however was not as much a park as it was a zoo with exhibits. I mean thin fenced land that contained alligators (oh yes we have pictures), jaguars, toucans, monkeys, vultures and many other exotic animals. The greatest part was that you could get so close to the animals, closer than any zoo I have ever been to. I was able to pet some monkeys and was even licked by an anteater (huge tounges) much to Alyssa's safety concerns.


We can get so close in fact that if the animals wished to they could PEE on you. Just ask Alyssa. That's right. As Alyssa is bending down to take a picture, this pig/gerbal/thingy (see picture) pops up on its hind legs, rears its wee-wee and marks its territory. I don't think I stopped laughing for 5 minutes while Alyssa rubbed hand sanitizer everywhere she could. The worst part about the pee is it smells like syrup. Yep, that's right, my wife smells like syrupy animal piss.


On the way home we couldnt help but laugh as it started to pour and the buses and taxis sprayed puddles all over us. What a great last day to our honeymoon.
-Paul

2 comments:

Dave said...

I might've gone to college with that pig/gerbil thingy.....He's just marking his territory....it's a guy thing.

Anonymous said...

I think you would agree, it is better to be pissed off than pissed on.