OK it looks like a lot, at it really may be, but at least we will be prepared. The idea is to get high quality stuff that we can only get in the states and then get everything else in country. We are limited to 80 LBs, which I (Paul) think is way more than enough. But after looking at all the random things we are bringing may be an issue. Things with question marks are things we are still not sure on. If any of you have suggestions or comments let us know.
Paul’s Clothing
Shirts (SS) – x7
Shirts (LS) – x2
Collared Shirts (SS) – x4-5
Dress Collared Shirts (LS) – x2
Ties – x1
Shorts – x4-5
Pants – x3-4
Underwear – x7
socks (thin/ short) - x4
Board shorts – x3
Pj pants – x1
soccer shorts – x2
Glasses – x2
Sunglasses – x2
hat – x2
Watch – x1
rain jacket – x1
Chaco – x2
Rainbows – x1
crocs – x1?
Runners – x1
Boots – x1
dress – x1
Soccer cleats – x1
Alyssa’s Clothing
Shirt (ls) – x2
Shirt (ss) – x4 (Icebreakers)
Casual tops– x3
Collared/dressy shirts – x4
Undershirts (tanks) - x3
Semi-formal dress – x1
Skirts (knee) – x3
Skirts (long) – x3
slips – x1-2
Pants (lightweight) – x2
Shorts (long) – x2-3
Underwear – x10
Sports Bras – x7
Socks – x3
Pj pants –x2
Hat – x2
Sunglasses – x2
Belt – x1
Workout shorts – x1-2
Watch – x1
Reading glasses – x2
Swimsuit – x1-2
Raincoat – x1
Chacos/tevas – x1-2
Dress (closed) – x1
running – x1
flips – x1
Random
Can/bottle opener
Camera
Camera Batteries & Charger
Pelican camera case
Pelican de-silica
USB cord/ card reader
Rechargeable batteries- AA(6) and AAA(6)
Battery charger
Dry sack (camera)
USB storage
memory cards – 4 GB (at least)
Solar charger & accessories
Books - x10 (at least)
Board game(s)
cards & card games
Puzzle books
Dictionary
Guitar
Gifts for Hosts
Soccer ball & pump
Duct tape
Sewing kit
Journal – x2
Bible – x2
Pens – x10
U.S. Stamps
Stationery supplies
Envelopes (adhesives)
Incense
Gear
Day pack – x2
Multiday Pack – x2
Duffle – x2
Purse Bag – x1
Knives – x4
Multi-tool – x2
headlamps – x4
Pack towels – x4
Nalgenes –x4
Money belt –x2
Lamp –x1
Thermarest/mat –x1?
Financial
Credit card – x1
Debit cards – x2
travelers checks -$50
Toiletries/Health
Prescriptions – 3 months
Fem Hygiene Stuff
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Shampoo & Conditioner
Hand Sanitizer
Small nail care kit
Tweezers
Hair ties
Brush
Razors/blades
Sunscreen
Deodorant
Lotion
Soap
Make-up? (small supply)
Hair cutting shears
Electric Razor?
Home
Bed sheets – x2
Mattress cover- x1
Measuring cups/ spoons?
Wall calendar
Map of US/ World?
Photos of friends & family (laminated)
Clothes pins?
Clothes line?
Hangers?
Small mirror
hammock?
Job related
Art supplies (kids)
Peace Corps paper work
PC Packet
EDU books/resources
calculator? (solar)
Medical reference book
Mountaineering medicine book
Things to ship
Comfort food
Seeds
Drink mixes
Spices
Books
U.S. stamps
School supplies
5 comments:
Long skirts – I had one Long skirt in Panama that was very long and I never wore it because the hem always got drug through the mud and puddles.
I’d go for the extra swim suit so you can have a “nice” one and one you don’t care about.
Clothes pins? Clothes line? Hangers? - These should all be easy to get in country. Although a length of rope is always useful. Especially for hanging misquito nets.
U.S. stamps – Will these be useful for mailing not from the US?
A suggestion would be to stock up on big ziplock bags. They are handy when hiking in the rain and keeping things more or less clean when you are living in enviroments that are dusty or very hummid. The little ones are useful, but they seemed to be available. It was the bigs ones I wanted that I had a hard time finding.
Can/bottle opener – this is such a smart idea – I wish I had brought one
In the end don’t stress about bringing something. There is always a solution in country, even if it isn’t ideal. Your fellow Peace Corps group members will probably run the gammot from way more than they can carry and is useful to the guys who pride themselves on using the local rice sacks to carry their one clean shirt and machette. I visited a guy in his site who didn’t own a towel, he dried off with an old “but clean” t-shirt.
A word on books – great idea to bring them. I brought one book that I read until it fell apart. But if you know you aren’t interested in reading the same book over and over, bring books you’d be willing to trade with fellow volunteers or exchange at the Peace Corps Library, or part with on take one shelves at hostels.
Sunscreen – you can get sunscreen from the Peace Corps Med Office free. If you want specific stuff though, bring your own.
"Paul wanted to know if you ever found your solar panel or tent useful. We're looking into that as well. I feel like the tent might be a waste of space, but who knows."
We did use our solar panals, but our neighbor destroyed our batteries (teenager - he hooked the two batteries together and they sparked and hissed and melted - he just wanted to see what would happen...) so we didn't use them as much as we had hoped.
We never used our tent. We had great hopes, but hostels were so cheep that we never did need to break out the tent. However sleeping pads (like z-rests) were totally useful! There were other volunteers that used their tents, we just weren't among them.
Shoes are very hard to pack--but so hard to get in country if you need to replace them.--My tennis shoes got swiped the first nite I was in my new town--Oh well, someone needier than I needed them.
Yeah, a longer cotton skirt comes in really handy.
Any room for a little non-stick pan?
Yes, PC will provide you with lots of things that I didn't expect--femin, products BCPills.
Things for the kids are huge!!! Balloons, crayons, new pencils--I made pinwheels one time and they loved them.
Your list sounds really really organized--I'm impressed
Sometimes PCV's come back home and you might want to send a letter with them to post--in that case you may need US stamps.
I agree with your friend Foy--don't stress--you will be amazed at how resourceful you will become.
I think you need more stuff Paul Even thought you might think you have ti all make sure you do!!!
Post a Comment