Sunday, September 26, 2010

Identity Crisis

Who am I? What am I doing? and for what purpose?
These three questions have been at the forefront of my mind and, I'm sure, have often graced the minds of anyone working overseas missions, relief or community development work.
Heres the basis of the tension: I'm a citizen of the United States of America (not just an American by the way, people here have just as much right to call themselves Americans) but I am working in Guyana, for the betterment of Guyana and have built solid life relationships with people in Guyana. However, I have obviously spent the majority of my life in the U.S.A. and everything I have ever know or felt comfortable with is there.
See the tension.
But wait it gets more complicated. We live in a small village without electricity, running water or flush toilets. I wake up every morning to beautiful fog filled mountains from which waterfalls race while parrots and toucans fly overhead. If I get hungry I plant food in my garden and it grows and if I need company, well its a small walk away. Needless to say I am in love with village life. It's hard, definitely not always comfortable or convenient but it always feels like your more connected with God, the land and the people. Almost as if that was, and is, the way we were intended to live.
But yet again it gets even more complicated. Our village lies at a cross roads. Guyana has 7 different and distinct Amerindian tribes. The unofficial border between two of those tribes is in our village, between the Mukushi tribe of the South and the Patamona tribe of the North. Each tribe carries its only customs, housing styles, and most importantly its only language. On top of that our village is approximately an 8 hour walk from the Brazilian border. Not only do we have a transient Brazilian population but have multiple permanent residents. Portuguese is commonly spoken and all Brazilian teams are cheered for.
So where does my identity lie?
I am and will always be a citizen tied and connect to the States. But I work, live and love Guyana. Then again which Guyana? The Amerindian, live off the land Guyana. The Portuguese speaking, Guyana. The African or the Indian Guyana.
The answer always alludes me. But one thing is for sure, in a country searching for its own identity I am  likely to get lost in God's grace and beauty and come out the other side better, stronger and more aware of my identity.
Until then, I live in a crisis.

No comments: