Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Three Month Reconnect

Saturday, July 17, 2010: Day 161

The reconnect is now over.  We are three months into our official service.  Last Monday was day 156 in the country which is also the 1/5 point of our time in Guyana.  At first keeping a count made it seem like we were counting down the days until we leave.  In reality it's more of a reminder of what we've accomplished so far as well as how little time we actually have left. 

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was to see all the volunteers again and hear how everyone is doing.  During one education session, all the education volunteers started out by listing our frustrations.  It was a tad depressing for the first few minutes, until we came to find that we were experiencing a lot of the same things.  That made me feel better, knowing many of us go to work faced with an enormous battle.

I had a chance to talk with Paulette, our training officer, who really helped me out.  She said something very encouraging.  She told me that too often Peace Corps volunteers feel that they must leave behind some sort of physical monument: a program, library, playground - something visible.  Instead, she just wants to see PCVs change a life.  It really made me stop and think about what I'm doing and want to do.  It brought me back down - refocused me.  I'm thankful for her and her encouragement and wisdom.

On another note, 7 people have left since we came to country, bringing our original group of 35 down to 28.  Other than the retired woman in our group, I am the oldest female volunteer in Guy 22 (the 22nd group to come to Guyana).  If that doesn't make me feel old, I don't know what will!

4 comments:

F said...

Oh you guys are so young you wring my heart! No I'm serious, you would have been one of the young ones in our group in Panama. I think our youngest two were right around 20 and they went home during training, which left the youngest boy or girl at 22.

And stay strong in the fight and know that every day just by living in Guy you are enriching your life and the lives of your community. Even when you are not actively teaching you are showing by example.

LJSBACKAGAIN said...

oh man...you've hit it dead on and made me cry :). i know that you are doing more than just changing one life my dears...i'm so blessed to know two people with such open hearts :).

Dave said...

I'd take your advisor's advice.....you'll have changed so many young lives for the better. They, and others that will come along your paths in the future will remember you forever.

TheComebackkid said...

Old Shmold. And if there is a couple who is on a mission to change lives, it is definitely you two. 1/5 closer to getting to see you again! But, keep up the good work and Mar and I will keep praying for you.