Friday, January 7, 2011

I Love You

Paul and I spent two days apart while he was in another village doing some malaria outreach.  I knew he would contact me by radio soon after he arrived but his timing was impeccable, as usual.  I was doing breakfast dishes when a boy volunteering in the health center came up to our house to let me know that Sir Paul wanted to transmit with me.  I ran down to the health center (where the radio set is) only to find that it was vaccination clinic day.  Now, the health center is usually not a very happening place unless it is one of the few specified clinic days a month, such as this one.  That means that on this particular day not only were staff and the work study students in there listening to my radio conversation, but also a bunch of mothers with their babies.  I was talking with Paul, trying not to show too much emotion over the radio when he said, “I love you.”  All eyes were on me as I responded, “I love you too.”  Giggles surrounded me as I said, “I’m going,” and headed back home.

“I love you” is something we say every day.  It comes natural.  We’ve heard it since before we can remember, yet here it is something a bit more foreign. I’ve seen a man and woman hold hands once.  I’ve seen a woman lean in and whisper to a man….also once.  Culturally it’s not normal to be openly affectionate here.  I’m sure some of the people in the village think Paul and I are crazy because we get along and talk.  Even crazier is when they find out he does the dishes.  

2 comments:

F said...

I'm sure you guys are the talk of the town.

Ed/Janet Quinlivan said...

We told Paul his entire life that we loved him and he never did the dishes at our house.
Ed & Janet