Friday, September 16, 2011

To Be Told

Graduate school is difficult. Not only is it demanding of my time, money and mind, but it asks much of me emotionally.

So far I am at the stage where all my preconceived notions about the being of God and the bible are being challenged and its scary. Not scary because I have never asked these questions of my faith, but because I worry if these bedrocks I have held are faulty then what I will have to stand on.

Someone asked me earlier this week how I felt about school so far and I told them that I felt, "like I have been treading water, but i'm slowly going under. I am tired, so I sink, but then I find a hidden source of energy to catch a quick breath, only to sink again."

 Questions are good. They lead to answers and not just half-assed, well-rehearsed answers but true ownership of what I have faith in. A good story requires struggles and challenges. We shall see where this new step in our adventure takes us.

I'm taking a great class right now, called "Faith, Hope and Love," where we examine the concepts of Faith (that the past is true), Love (for the church and all of humanity in the present) and Hope (for the future).  It is taught by a brilliant psychologist Dan Allender who has us reading a book he wrote called To Be Told. In his book we are asked to analyze our story from the joys and triumphs, to the painful tragedies, all of which shape us into who we are and who God is calling us to be.

 A major component of our story is the people, you, we choose to live in community with. Outside of our spouses and parents we know each other best. So, with Dr. Allender's suggestions, I (Paul) ask a favor of all of you. What do you know about me? How would you describe me to others? What do you see as my strengths and weaknesses? I ask this, not as a complete narcissist but as someone who wishes to learn more about himself so that he can better his story for the glory of God, oh, and for class.

No comments: