Recently I sat down with a professor during his office hours, or "studio hours" as he likes to refer it. I came in with a specific question regarding the cannon of scripture, but the conversation eventually turned into us just getting to know each other. Asking about family, where we are from, that sort of thing.
At one point when I was sharing my story of working in churches, feeling sort of lost, and living in Monkey Mountain he asked me a question that caught me off guard.
"Do you enjoy extreme sports?"
"Well, ya. I surf, skate, snowboard, just learned how to wake board this summer. I love to travel and do active things. I guess I never really thought about it. Its just something I do. A part of who I am." I replied.
The question felt so random, yet so right that it has me really thinking. Is what we choose to do a result of who we are? Or is who we are a result of what we choose to do?
Our life stories scream of who we are and who we are is defined by the stories we have lived. The joy, pain, triumph, success and tragedy have all shaped us into who we are. The way we interact with people, view the world and even play can all be defined by what we have experienced.
I think I used to be in the camp that what we do defines who we are. You know, you like to read therefore you should go into academia, or you like to argue so you should become a trial lawyer. But the more I learn about my life story I think that who I am defines, or should define, what I choose to do. I surf because I enjoy being active in nature and the solitude. I don't craft or dance ballet because I love nature, I get out and live it.
What do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment