Sunday, July 1, 2012

Playing Catch Up

In order to catch up, I'm pretty sure I need to start with January and work my way to now...July...Oops.  So, take this as a warning that if you really want to read this, or even just look at the pictures, it might take some time.

In January, Brenna and John were married!  I couldn't have designed a better man to marry my sister.  They are two peas in a pod.  Small and intimate, it was a beautiful wedding in the middle of a snow storm.  Paul had the privilege of officiating the wedding as well.  In May they moved across country for John's physical therapy school.  I miss them but know it is good for them to be on their own.




On March 3rd, my Grandma Libby died.  She suffered a stroke in  November 2010 and was doing fairly well in assisted living.  In February she suffered a second stroke, this one too severe to recover from.  My dad, his two brothers, and all three wives flew out to stay by her side until she took her last breath. 

I am so blessed to have grown up with and known all four of my grandparents and two great-grandparents.  My grandmother, Eliazbeth, was a beautiful woman with and incredible social life and amazing friends.  After the service, I met people she has been friends with since her sorority days.  It's amazing to see what a life she lived. 

This is her in her very early twenties.

Her and my dad as a little guy.


One of my favorite pictures of her.  This was when she was 40.  Beautiful.

 This was about twenty years ago, on one of her and my Pop-Pop's Christmas visits to our house.

 In 2002, before my grandfather's Alzheimers really started to set in, my grandparents treated my sister and I to come along with them and their friends on a river cruise through Austria, Hungary, Germany and the Netherlands.  This is my favorite picture of the four of us in Amsterdam.

In April, Paul turned 27.  Some good friends helped me throw him a surprise birthday party.  Sadly, I don't have any pictures.  Fail.

In May, Paul competed with seven other people from his school in a race up in Bellingham called Ski to Sea.  It was awesome but the wind was a bit crazy and we weren't sure he would compete in his rinky-dink borrowed kayak, lovingly referred to as Mellow Yellow.  When the time came for him to jump in, he took his chances, jumped in, and made it to the finish.  He definitely got a few strange looks with a kayak that was hands down the worst kayak at the race.  


We thorougly enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL weather the day before the race when there was nothing but sunshine.  We spent most of the day outside, reminding our bodies exactly what the sun is again.

The day of the race, as all the kayaks were set up to go, it became more apparent just how sad Paul's kayak really was.  We tried to stay in good spirits though.

 We closely watched the wind and the other kayaks heading out.  Many flipped, many turned back.  We remained optimistic.  Well, we tried.

Our friend, Ryan, helped Paul carry his kayak down.  Katie and I watched and took pictures, noticing all the people starring at Paul's kayak and making comments.  

Paul proved them all wrong.  Not only did he get out there, but he finished the race while many others in their high end kayaks turned around.

I was very proud of him, to say the least.

At the beginning of June, we headed to the beach with a group of friends to surf.  It was cold and windy.  We had so much fun and are so thankful to have such amazing friends.  I don't know what we would do without them.  I'm serious.

A bunch of the girls - Rachel, Lindy, me, Jade and Katie.

Paul and some of the guys - Dean and Matt.

Some of our nearest and dearest - Ryan and Katie.

 And people we NEED to hang out with more - Matt and Rachel.


For our 4th anniversary, Paul surprised me with a trip to Orcas Island.  It was a MUCH needed getaway with him about to finish the summer term at school and me finishing the school year subbing and moving into a new summer nanny job.  For most of the trip, the weather was a bit rainy and overcast, but we made the best of it.


We took a ferry to get across.  This is right after I found out where we were going.

 This is us two hours later, still waiting for the ferry.  The ferries are more infrequent to the islands.

The view from our suite.  Gorgeous.

We headed down to the main part of town for the Farmers Market and saw this prayer labyrinth overlooking the water.  We had done one before on Whidbey Island with our friends, Lindy and Dean.

I thought this statue was pretty fun.  Paul was more fun.

We braved the rain and went for a hike.  The views were a different kind of beautiful.



Anniversary dinner!  

Goodbye Orcas! 

 More updates in August.  I'm shooting for one a month.  That is a more realistic and less overwhelming goal.
  

2 comments:

Kimmie said...

Thanks for taking the time to catch us all up. It is so difficult when there is 3,000 miles between us. The blog softens some of that pain. I truly love following your blog and seeing the pics! Love you lots!!!
Kimmie

Dave said...

Alyssa,

The tribute to your Grandma was wonderful! Thanks for that, it was very, very nice.

I Love You,
Dad