Tuesday, August 14, 2012

One Crazy Summer

Seattle has finally begun to show true signs of summer.  The weather may not be reaching 100 degrees, but it is about as hot as it is going to get.  Summer brings people outside that you didn't know existed.  What seemed to be uninhabited areas during the winter are now overflowing with people.  The weather is gorgeous and I will never complain about the heat again.  It is rare and beautiful.

Summer has been, for us, nothing short of busy.  Long gone are the days of vacation and relaxing on the beach.  Hello work and major responsibilities, moving (again), and all of those other curve balls life throws at you.  Other than the beautiful sunshine, the greatest part about this summer is that I was hired on fulltime to teach fourth grade!  I'm going to be at an amazing school with a very supportive staff.  I don't feel like I could ask for much more.  My students are part of the gifted program, scoring in the top two percent for reading and math.  Crazy.  Teaching gifted students has been a long time dream of mine, and I'm still on cloud nine. 

We are also moving to a different part of the city.  If my math is correct, this will be our seventh move in four years of marriage.  It will be my fifteenth move in ten years.  I find that ridiculous.  No wonder I dread and despise packing.  We only have a few boxes done, and Paul packed almost all of them. We are moving into a great house with a huge yard and garden.  After living in a basement for a year, I am also excited for the skylights and huge windows that will stream in sunshine.  We will be living in community with another couple, the husband of which goes to school with Paul.

Summer has also been a time of reminders that we are from southern California.  I seem to have come alive with the sun, forgetting how good it feels to roll down all your car windows and drive to music.  So, when life starts to feel a little crazy, I may just go for a drive...

1 comment:

Summer Girl said...

Love it! I do the same thing in the summer out here! Love rolling down my window and cruisin along!