Friday, March 12, 2010

Hump Week and the Downward Slope

This last was officially Hump Week, or the middle week in our training that leads to our actual service. While our HVV's were absolutely incredible experiences that shed light on what we may experience they also gave us a taste of freedom. Training has been a great time for us to build on our knowledge, interact with our fellow PCTs and learn how to better integrate into Guyanese culture, but it has also been a time of frustration, irritation and exhaustion. We are ready to be done with it.

By no means do I believe I am completely prepared for my service (that would be arrogant), nor do I feel that I can not learn more from training but just that I am ready to fail and succeed on my own. Many of my colleeges are under same mindset. Everyday we endure the equatorial sun, while listening to exteremly technical information that could be vital to our success, while attempting to adust and integrate into a culture and find a way to use the precious time we have left to just breathe. It is hard.

But there is hope. We have officially began our decent into service and the light at the end of our tunnel is getting brighter by the hour. By the time you read this post we will, hopefully, have received our official site placement and our cup of endurance will again be drained.

Pray for strength and perserverance

3 comments:

brenna said...

I can't wait to find out where you two will be serving! Thanks for keeping the posts coming-it's awesome to get a little peek into what you two are up to over there. I love you both!

Ed/Janet Quinlivan said...

Thanks for the post. Everyone says hello
Love,
Mom

F said...

I remember getting my placement! I wanted to know everything about the community. I wanted to go there right now. I did not want o meet my counterpart and have to try and speak Spanish and live with another host family. But I did and it was fine.

One little tip, I know you are carrying a ton of stuff, but the first month or so in site you'll probably find you have more time than you know what to do with. It’s weird to go from completely structured days to absolutely nothing. Make space for about five books - trade fellow volunteers or pick up something at the Peace Corps office and hopefully you'll have enough to get you through.