I woke up early today to sit on the veranda overlooking the ocean and watch the sunrise. The sun has yet to come up over the orizon, but it is beautiful and peaceful. I'm sitting in Vesta's chair next to her bowl of mangoes. She likes to sit out here in the late evening and cut open a few. A tiny gama (salamander) is searching the bowl for breakfast. Very peaceful indeed.
The breeze is blowing which is the only thing keeping the sweat from dripping. Birds are singing a sweet song, but they are drowned out by the roosters telling us it is morning. A fisherman is chest high in the ocean collecting his nets. The goats, sheep, cows, and horses have yet to be led out to the seawall for the day.
I feel peaceful, not only because the morning is quiet, but I am feeling more at ease. I have successfully done laundry by hand on several occassions, and bucket baths are quite satisfying. I'm learning to cook and talk like the locals. They may speak English, but that does not mean I understand them. Thankfully and "Hello! Good morning!" is generally enough for those not patient enough to repeat themselves for me.
Alyssa
1 comment:
I love this! :) I'm so happy to hear you're doing well. I think about you daily and check your blog 100x a day to see if there are any update-they are a joy to read! Love and hugs to both of you!
Brenna
Post a Comment