Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gotta Love Exoskeletons

I know I�ve explained in detail the annoyance of not only having centipedes but killing them as well.  They just won�t die.  You chop and you chop and all three pieces keep wiggling around your feet.

In early September, Paul and I went to one of the shops to watch a movie in the evening and came back when it was dark.  Paul went into the other room and asked for me to bring the Baygon (remember � the magical bug killing spray) and a cutlass.  He had seen a black leg and thought it was a tarantula as we�ve had one in the house before.  I come in and see Paul�s headlamp directed toward a black leg sticking out of a crack at the base of the mud wall. 

It looks like a tarantula.  We spray.  It comes out of the crack.  It�s not a tarantula.  It�s a scorpion, and it dies.  The cutlass cracked that exoskeleton quick and it didn�t take long for it to curl up, nothing more than a harmless mass of what once could have been quite painful.

It was only a matter of time before we saw one so I wasn�t too surprised.  In fact, I was more surprised at how unaffected I was in finding a scorpion in my house.  All I muttered was, �Oh, scorpion,� and that was that.

No comments: