Thursday, October 21, 2010

Summer Break

I spend the August holiday (i.e. summer vacation) doing two things.  First I held a 5th and 6th grade remedial skills class for four weeks.  I also opened the Learning Resource Center for the summer.

The 5th and 6th grade remedial class went really well.  I focused in on multiplication tables, composition, and basic grammar.  The whole class was basic skills.  I had the kids writing every day, trying to get their brains thinking outside of the box.  It was a lot of fun to read their responses and help them find ways to express their thoughts.  I also had a competition with multiplication.  Most of the kids don't know their multiplication tables which puts them at a huge disadvantage for learning further math skills.  We made flashcards and practiced over and over.  Four kids were able to memorize all their tables, 0-12 in just three weeks!  I held a private movie showing as a prize.  They loved it!

Then, there's the resource center.  It's in complete disarray, but with the help of some kids I got it cleaned and running for the summer.  Kids were coming in every day, reading and taking stacks of books home only to bring them back the next day to get more.  It was awesome.  I showed movies on Fridays and got adults coming in as well.  I loved it.  They loved it.  Success.  I'm hoping to get it up and running again.  Fingers crossed.

Here are some pics of our resource center:







No comments: